Flower Background DIY Tips
From shop windows to trendy cocktail bars to elegant weddings, flower background walls are being displayed everywhere and we love it. Flower background walls are a great statement piece for your wedding and extremely popular for photo backdrops.
Flower Background walls are essential to any fairytale wedding and can be created for any color scheme. From dusty pink and lavender pastels to rosy reds and winter blues.
Why Should You Make Your Own Flower Background?Check Price on Amazon
Weddings are anything but cheap and having your own floral wall made professional can set you back between $2500 to $5000! Reading that would no doubt make any blushing bride think twice, but why should you have to settle for less on your big day? You shouldn’t.
In this guide, we are going to show you how to make your flower background wall for a 10th of the retail price!
Before designing your Flower Background, there are a few things you should consider. Size of your wall, color palette, and the type of flowers your wall is made from.
Gone are the days where flower walls showcase an endless sea of garden roses. Since the famous Kardashian wedding in 2014, Flower walls have evolved to boast a whole array of flowers. Peonies, Anemones, Hydrangeas and Orchids are just some of the floral treasures you may see in the popular wedding trend.
Where To Buy Your Materials For Your Flower Background?Check Price on Amazon
To make your flower wall, you will need:
- Hot Glue Gun
- Hot Glue Sticks (3-4 packs)
- Artificial Flowers
- Polystyrene craft boards (60cm x 40cm) or large fabric sheet (to your desired size)
- Pack of cable ties (if using the fabric method)
- Craft wire
- Grid or Studio Stand
Depending on which method you chose to follow, will determine what type of stand you need to use for displaying your wall. The stand is very important as it is unlikely the venue will allow you to tarnish their walls. The Fabric flower wall method will require a Studio Background stand and the panel flower wall method will need a grid stand.
How To Make A Flower Background Yourself – In 6 Easy Steps
There are two effective methods for crafting your flower wall. The first way (and our preferred method) is to construct your wall with smaller panels. This method is used by professional florist wall companies and allows for easy design customization and easy transportation to your venue.
The second method is attaching your flowers straight onto a large sheet of colored fabric that can hang.Check Price on Amazon
1 ) Gather your materials, we recommend starting this at least 8 weeks before you need your completed floral wall to allow for material delivery time and construction time.
2) Set up your workstation and prepare your materials. If your artificial flowers are in bunches. Grab some scissors and snip the long stem and leaves until you are left with just the head of the flower.
3) Organize your flowers onto one panel or one section of the fabric until you are happy with the design (Make sure to take a photo). This will help you calculate roughly how many flowers you will need to complete your entire design and help you arrange the distribution of colors throughout your wall.
4) Fabric Method – Lay your fabric out on a clean, dry surface. Around the edges of your fabric make holes every 10cm, using a sharp pair of scissors. These will be the holes for the cable ties to go through which will attach your fabric to the framing.Check Price on Amazon
Panel Method – Lay your panel on a clean, dry surface. Make two small holes in each corner of the panel, and thread your wire through these holes so the ends are poking out the back of the panel. These wire ends will be used to secure the panel to the frame. Then begin to make shallow holes throughout the board. These will be where the flowers sit. Before pushing a flower in, make sure to coat the stem with hot glue. Refer to the photo you took earlier for the composition.
5) Leave your panels/fabric to dry until the flowers are firmly set in place. Now you can start to construct your frame.
Studio Background Stand – Construct the Studio Stand, adjust the stand to match the length and width of your fabric.
Grid Stand – Construct the grid stand. If you have purchased them separately you will need to secure them together using cable ties to make a larger frame.
6) Studio Background Stand – Hold your fabric against the stand frame. Make sure to have a few helpers to hold the fabric while you loop and tighten the first cable tie to the stand. We recommend starting from the top left corner and securing the top row before securing the sides.
Grid Stand- Position your first panel on your grid. Have a friend hold the panel from the front while you attach the panel wires to secure it firmly to the grid. Start placing panels from the top left corner to top right corner and then work row by row
And voilà, your very own flower background wall!Check Price on Amazon
Top 5 DIY Tips For Building Your Our Flower Background
If you choose to put your flower wall on a sheet, use a dark green fabric in case there are gaps between your foliage and flowers. This way, the leaves will sit against the background seamlessly.
Use a variety of small to large flowers, this way any small gaps can be closed with a smaller flower.
Buy your artificial flowers without the stems, this will save you precious glueing time.
Store your completed wall in a cool dry place.
Pin your flowers in place using tacking pins. This way you will not lose your beautiful arrangement.
We hope this mini-guide has helped you in making your very own Flower Wall!
Remember making your flower background can be a fun inexpensive way to save some money on your wedding but is very time consuming so it may not be for every br